Monday, July 03, 2006

First Peanutbutter and Jelly Sandwich ever!!!

Evan had his first pbj sandwich today. Aldi's weekly sale was about popular American food products, so we picked up a jar of peanut butter to let Evan have a try. We could have probably found it somewhere else also, but never really thought about it. He liked it, A LOT! It was so cute watching my little German-American boy eat one of the most popular snacks in America for the first time in his life. He'll be getting plenty of those after we live in the States again. I tried to find a website I could link to, so that you could see what kind of things are considered "typical American" by the average German, but unfortunately they already show next weeks sale instead of this weeks. While checking on their homepage I found out that Aldi actually started having branches over in the States!!! I couldn't believe that. As far as I can tell they only have them on the east coast though, so far. But still. Charles and I are desperately hoping that they will expand and also come to Washington State, so that we can keep shopping there even after we move away from Germany. We do most our shopping there, and at its competitor Lidl. Their products are awesome, really great quality. I found this article on Wikipedia.com. It explains the basics of aldi, and was very interesting to Charles and me. They talk about some interesting facts, like how you have to put a quarter into the shopping cart to use it, which is typical for Germany anyways. It must be so weird for Americans though. I don't think any other store does that...? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways. Evan and I had a great day! We played all afternoon together. He had so much fun going through all his toys - train tracks, building blocks, stacking cups, his books, his huge dump truck, ...! Later in the afternoon his grandma came up with some cherries from her backyard. It was the first time Evan got to eat cherries, and he loved them. He interrupted playing and sat down next to the bowl of cherries, eating them so fast I couldn't even keep up with taking the pits out. Such a cute little guy! I just wish he'd sit and play in his little pool, so that the heat wouldn't be so unbearable for him! We're only in July though, so he'll have another two months to change his mind about it. We'll see!

Have a good day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home